The 136th Airlift Wing is located at the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas. It is one of three flying units in the Texas Air National Guard. The wing flies and maintains eight C-130J Super Hercules aircraft - an all-purpose vehicle, cargo and personnel transport.
: To provide highly trained, equipped and motivated military forces for worldwide combat and peacetime tasking supporting the State of Texas and the Nation. The flying mission includes short field and dirt-strip landing, and airdrop delivery of cargo and people in all weather, day and night. The wing has a long history dating back to before the Korean War. The 136 AW has participated in nearly every major conflict and relief operation since that time, to include operations in Vietnam, Panama, Africa, Desert Shield/Desert Storm, the South American counter-drug effort, and the Balkans. A phenomenal safety record, the wing recently surpassed 168,000 hours of accident-free flying.
: As a National Guard unit, the wing has a dual role of serving the State of Texas under the command of the Governor during peacetime and state emergencies, and becoming part of the active duty forces under the command of the President during wartime or other national emergency.
DEMOGRAPHICS AND FINANCIAL IMPACT
The wing has a strength of more than 1,000 personnel. About 75 percent of these Citizen Airmen are part-time, traditional Guardsmen who drill at least one weekend a month, and at least 15 days of active duty a year. The remaining 25 percent are full-time. Females account for 21 percent of the wing' s population; 16 percent of our Citizen Airmen are minorities. The wing' s total spending is $45 million per year. This spending has an estimated $112.5 million per year impact on the local community.
: Since September 11, 2001, the wing has mobilized numerous times in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM and NEW DAWN. During that time, the assigned C-130Hs and aircrews flew more than 7,000 combat hours since 9/11. These missions included cargo, personnel, distinguished visitor and medical evacuation transports as well as aerial resupply of ground forces in austere environments. Support personnel have also deployed in large numbers assisting ground, air and special operations forces. Duties performed during these deployments include personnel administration, driving convoys and weather forecasting. Rotations of personnel and aircraft to Southwest Asia continue to date.
In June 2021, the wing bid farewell to its last C-130H and began the conversion process to the new and improved C-130J.
In June 2021, the wing bid farewell to its last C-130H and began the conversion process to the new and improved C-130J. On July 24, 2021, the wing celebrated the arrival of its first C-130J, “The Kay Granger.” The aircraft’s namesake, Representative Kay Granger, was the guest of honor at a Welcoming Ceremony and spoke with pride recalling the history of excellence the 136th Airlift Wing has behind it, and excitement for the opportunities that lie ahead.
DISASTER RESPONSE: The wing has mobilized numerous times for peacetime relief missions at home and abroad. The wing supported relief efforts for Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Wilma, Gustav and Ike. Contributions included deploying aircraft, personnel and equipment to provide direct and indirect relief/recovery operations. During Hurricane Gustav alone, the wing evacuated more than 635 special needs patients to safety. Elements of the wing also deployed during the 2010 Haitian Earthquake relief effort.
INTERNATIONAL ASSISTANCE: The 136th Airlift Wing also participates in DoD's State Partnership Program (SPP). The wing' s partner nations are Chile, Czech Republic and Egypt. Exchanges include aircraft operations, maintenance and medical training.