136th Airlift Wing Fact Sheet

136 AW Logo

Nulli Secundus (Second to None)


The 136th Airlift Wing is located at the Naval Air Station Fort Worth, Joint Reserve Base. It is one of three flying units in the Texas Air National Guard. The Wing flies and maintains eight C-130H2 aircraft - an all-purpose vehicle, cargo and personnel
transport.

MISSION:
To provide highly trained, equipped and motivated military forces for worldwide combat and peacetime tasking supporting the State of Texas and the Nation. The flying mission includes short field and dirt strip landing, and airdrop delivery of cargo and people in all weather, day and night. The Wing has a long history dating back to before the Korean War. The 136th has participated in nearly every major conflict and relief operation since that time, to include operations in Vietnam, Panama, Africa, Desert Shield/Desert Storm, the South American counter-drug effort, and the Balkans. A phenomenal safety record, the Wing recently surpassed 168,000 hours of accident-free flying.

ROLES:
As a National Guard unit, the Wing has a dual role of serving the State of Texas under the command of the Governor during peace time and state emergencies, and becoming part of the active duty forces under the command of the President during wartime or other national emergency.

DEMOGRAPHICS AND FINANCIAL IMPACT:
The Wing has a strength of over 1,000 personnel. About 75 percent of the unit's members are part-time, traditional Guardsmen who drill at least one weekend a month, and put in at least 15 days of active duty a year. The remaining 25 percent
are full time. Females account for 21 percent of the Wing's population; 16 percent of our members are minorities. The Wing's total spending is $45 million per year. This spending has an estimated $112.5 million per year impact on the local community.

WARTIME POSTURE:
Since Sept. 11, 2001, the Wing has mobilized numerous times in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM and NEW DAWN. The assigned C-130H's and aircrews have flown over 7000 combat hours since 9/11/01. These missions have included cargo, personnel, distinguished visitor, and medical evacuation transports as well as aerial resupply of ground forces in austere environments. Support personnel have also deployed in large numbers in support of ground, air, and special operations forces. Duties performed during these deployments include personnel administration, driving convoys, and weather forecasting. Rotations of personnel and aircraft to Southwest Asia continue today.

DISASTER RESPONSE:
The Wing has mobilized numerous times for peacetime relief missions at home and abroad. The Wing supported relief efforts for Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Wilma, Gustav and Ike. Contributions included deploying aircraft, personnel and equipment to provide direct and indirect relief/recovery operations. During Hurricane Gustav alone, the Wing evacuated over 635 special needs patients to safety. Elements of the Wing also deployed during the 2010 Haitian Earthquake relief effort. INTERNATIONAL ASSISTANCE: The 136th Airlift Wing also participates in DoD's State Partnership Program (SPP). The Wing's partner nations are Chile and the Czech Republic. Exchanges include aircraft operations, maintenance and medical training.
 
136th Airlift Wing
SENIOR LEADERSHIP


Colonel George Holt
Commander

Colonel Thomas Suelzer
Vice Commander

Colonel Jerald Williams
136th Operations Group Commander

Colonel Denise Taylor
136th Mission Support Group Commander

Colonel Jeffrey Young
254th Combat Communications Group Commander

Colonel Kurt Mallory
136th Maintenance Group Commander

Colonel George Ivanovskis
136th Medical Group Commander

Command Chief Master Sergeant Edward  Walden
136th Airlift Wing Command Chief

136th Airlift Wing Motto...
Nulli Secundus
(Second to None)