Chief Master Sergeant Huey F. McKinney is the Command Chief for the 136th Airlift Wing assigned to Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas. He serves as the principle senior enlisted military advisor to the wing commander on all issues regarding the welfare, readiness, morale and proper utilization and progress of the enlisted personnel in the wing.
After entering active duty in 1989, CMSgt McKinney began his Air Force career as an aircraft fuel systems mechanic at Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark. He left active duty in 1999 and joined the Texas Air National Guard in May 2001 as an aircraft fuel systems craftsman, assigned to the 136th Maintenance Squadron. Some of the various positions he has held while a 136 MXS member includes Non-Commissioned Officer in charge of plans, scheduling, documentation and engine management, accessories flight chief, inspector general superintendent managing the Commander’s Inspection Program, and liaison for Inspector General issues. Chief McKinney stepped up in April 2020 to assist during to the COVID pandemic as the Regional Headquarters Charlie NCOIC. During this joint assignment, he was in charge of eight COVID testing teams within the West Texas Region who comprised of more than 170 Soldiers and Airmen who conducted more than 40,000 COVID-19 tests.
CMSgt McKinney has served in multiple deployed locations throughout his career supporting Operations DESERT SHIELD, DESERT STORM, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM. Before he assumed his current position, Chief McKinney served as 136th Maintenance Group superintendent, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas, advising the 136 MXG commander on operational effectiveness, aircraft and equipment issues, and all concerns affecting the morale and welfare of over 250 assigned personnel spanning more than 20 Air Force Specialty Codes.
1994 Airman Leadership School, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska.
2005 Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Inspector General Training Course, Lansdowne, Va.
2015 Bachelor of Business Administration, Northwood University, Midland, Mich.
2015 Community College of the Air Force, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. April 1989 – September 1991, Aircraft Fuel Systems Apprentice, 314th Component Repair Squadron, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
2. September 1991 – September 1994, Aircraft Fuel Systems Journeyman, 3rd Maintenance Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
3. September 1994 – March 1999, Aircraft Fuel Systems Craftsman, 5th Maintenance Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
4. May 2001 – April 2009, Fuel Cell Repair NCOIC, 136th Maintenance Squadron, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas
5. April 2009 – April 2010, Plans, Scheduling & Documentation NCOIC, 136th Maintenance Operations Flight, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
6. April 2010 – May 2015, Accessories Flight Chief, 136 MXS, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
7. May-2015 – October 2016, Inspector General Superintendent, 136th Airlift Wing, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
8. October 2016 – June 2021, Aircraft Maintenance Chief Enlisted Manager, 136 MXS, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
9. August 2018 – June 2021, Group Superintendent, 136 MXG, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
10. July 2021 – Present, Wing Command Chief, 136 AW, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two devices
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal with six “M” devices
1994 Distinguished Graduate Award, Airman Leadership School, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
2015 Magna cum laude, Bachelor of Business Administration, Northwood University
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Guard Association of Texas – Life Member
Air Force Sergeants Association – Life Member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman First Class Jan. 30, 1990
Senior Airman Dec. 1, 1991
Staff Sergeant July 1, 1995; May 19, 2001
Technical Sergeant May 19, 2003
Master Sergeant July 28, 2007
Senior Master Sergeant April 6, 2010
Chief Master Sergeant Oct. 6, 2016
(Current as of July 2021)